What is a terpene?
Terpenes are natural compounds that are found in plants and insects. More than 200 terpenes have been identified in the cannabis plant. With a wide variety of therapeutic effects, terpenes can help the body destroy bacteria, detoxify, relax and more.
Read about all the different kinds of natural terpenes that you may encounter in cannabis.
Supports sleep and reduced muscle tension, insomnia, and pain.
- Smells: Clove-like with notes of citrus fruit
- Tastes: Sweet citrus
- Found in: Balsamic, Fruit, Geraniums, Herbs
Helps with depression, anxiety, reflux, and defense against free radicals.
- Smells: Citrus lemon and orange
- Tastes: Lemon and mint
- Found in: Orange, juniper, peppermint
Eases anxiety and inflammation. Supports motor control and pain management.
- Smells: Floral with a hint of spice
- Tastes: Coriander, Floral, Lavender, Lemon, Rose
- Found in: Lavender, Mint, Cinnamon, Citrus Fruit
Helps defend against free radicals, insomnia, nerve pain and inflammation.
- Smells: Wood, cinnamon and cloves
- Tastes: Hops and spices
- Found in: Basil, all-spice, fig, black pepper
Suppresses appetite, aids with inflammation and pain.
- Smells: Spicy and earthy
- Tastes: Hops, pepper and spices
- Found in: Coriander, basil, clove
Eases asthma, supports memory and destroys bacteria.
- Smells: Pine forest and Rosemary
- Tastes: Rosemary, cedarwood, pine
- Found in: Conifer trees, parsley, orange peels
Helps relieve inflammation and pain. Detoxifies and helps relieve inflammation and pain.
- Smells: Eucalyptus and mint
- Tastes: Spicy and cooling, like camphor
- Found in: Bay leaves, eucalyptus, tea tree
Aids in reduction of morphine dependency and inflammation.
- Smells: Floral and lilac
- Tastes: Sweet lime and slightly floral
- Found in: Lime blossoms, pine trees, lilacs
Helps to relieve spasms, get rid of bacteria and fight free radicals.
- Smells: Rose and citronella
- Tastes: Passion fruit, lemon peel, peach
- Found in: Geranium, lemon
As a general rule of thumb, remember this tip. Terpenes limonene and myrcene are great indicators of the overall effect of cannabis. If a cannabis plant has a terpene profile that is more than 50% limonene, it’s likely that you’ll enjoy it more during the day to increase focus, energy or creativity. If there is more than 50% myrcene present, you should expect feelings of relaxation, sedation and physical ease.
More than ever before, science relies on terpene profiles to determine how you’ll feel after enjoying a specific cannabis product or strain. Combining cannabinoids and terpenes maximize the benefits of cannabis in mind and body.
Learn How to Become
a Medical Cannabis Patient
Learn how to get your medical marijuana use card in Florida.
Find out if you qualify in as little as 15 minutes! Talk to a qualified physician in a private, secure virtual setting.
Sign up today to earn points that turn into discounts just for shopping with us.
We know waiting for a delivery can be frustrating, that’s why we operate weekly pop-up locations at partnering clinics across the state!